Yummy Peking Roast Duck in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Hello peeps! This is a throwback on a delicacy that I had during my recent trip to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah in June 2022. 

I am worried I may forget about this delicacy, so here i am - blogging it down, and sharing with anyone who might be having the same craving as me. :) 

So i was having this craving for Peking Roast Duck for some time. Not any ordinary roast duck, but i was hoping to savor those that they sliced the roast duck skin into thin slivers and wrap them in thin popiah skin, shredded cucumber, julienned spring onions and hoisin sauce. 

And we found this restaurant called "Gam Tong" in Daya Hotel in KK Sabah. There were only 4 of us but we ordered quite a lot of dishes and boy, we finished all of them! Because it is so good! 

Writing about it now still make me salivate. 😉

The duck menu is a 4-in-1 dish. As it was only the 4 of us dining, we only ordered half a duck which cost us RM60. RM60 is cheap to me because it comes in 4 dishes: 

1) Sliced duck skin served with popiah wrap, cucumber, spring onion and sauce

2) Stir fry duck meat with options of sauces (we chose Black Pepper Sauce) or you may order a fried rice or fried noodles with the duck meat. 

3) Duck Drumstick with Sour Plum Sauce

4) Salted Vegetable Duck Soup (Ham Choy Ap Thong)


No regrets at all ordering this menu! It was so good! The duck is crispy on the skin, succulent on the meat. The popiah wrap is soft but a little chewy. Even my kids who don't really fancy duck gobbled a few "parcels" down. 

The stir fry duck meat with Black Pepper Sauce is very flavorful too. Good quality of black pepper sauce. Not too spicy and the duck still maintain its tenderness. It almost feels like eating Stir Fry Black Pepper Venison. 

The Salted Vegetable Duck Soup is boiled using the bones of the roasted duck. It serves 4 of us perfectly - each person 1 bowl. The soup is super flavorful. The right balance of saltiness, sourness and umami from the duck. Boiled with  tomatoes, preserved sour plum and lots of chunky soft tofu. Has to be the best Salted Vege Duck Soup i ever had. Better than my dad's which already hold quite a significant place in my heart. Sorry dad.😜

We ordered the baked prawn in cheese, fried rice with crabmeat & ebiko and a shaved ice dessert too. The prawn is good, toink toink springy and fresh. Lots of cheese on top. The Shaved ice dessert is a let down though. The taste is too sweet. Nothing to shout out about. But the fried rice is SOOOOO GOOOD! Perfect wok hei and umami from the crab meat. I have eaten a very good fried rice in Kota Kemuning, Klang, and this can come next in place to it. 

My ratings for this restaurant: 

Service: 🌟🌟🌟 The lady staff who took my call is very pleasant. I am arriving late for dinner and she said she will reserve half a duck for me since by then it should be pretty much sold off. 

Cleanliness: 🌟🌟🌟 It is a pretty old restaurant. So doesn't look too bright and new. A little crowded too. But overall is clean and no funky smell. 

Taste: 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (for the food that we ordered)

Variety of food: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Plenty of food and drinks on the menu. i am blinded with choices. I wished I have more days there to try more food. 

Price: 🌟🌟🌟🌟 For the quality it offers, I am happy to give it 4 🌟. 

Ok, enough talking. Belanja u guys makan the photo. :P 







Anyone love Peking roasted duck wrapped in popiah skin like me? Leave me a comment if you do and share with me your choice of place for this too. I would love to explore more! 

-TTC-

Comments

Popular Posts